Tuesday, June 5, 2012

Granola-ish!

It's me, it's me!!!

I made something so easy and delicious, it temporarily freed me from my vegetative (ha! get it?!) state.  Homemade "granola" bars...not really much granola, but super good and relatively healthy and inexpensive. I made them for our four lazy teens, but then Brad and I made the mistake of trying them. If you don't hear from us, we're in our basement wearing sweat pants and eating these...


I don't have a pic of mine so I "borrowed" this one!

Granola bars!

Ingredients:

1/2 c. brown rice syrup
1/4 c. agave syrup
1 c. natural chunky peanut butter
2 tsp. vanilla

(Note: I get the brown rice syrup in the "health food" section of  Fred Meyer.  It's a great sweetener.)
Heat the syrups over medium heat until they're warm, then add the peanut butter and stir until it's combined.  Remove from heat and add the vanilla and stir. If your peanut butter doesn't have added salt, stir in 1/4 tsp. of salt.

1-1/2 c. crisp rice cereal
1 c. puffed millet cereal
2 c. quick oats

Combine the cereals in a bowl and pour the warm peanut butter mixture over the top. Stir to combine. Get your hands in there and mush it around if you need to!  Spread in a 9"x9" pan.

1 c. semi-sweet chocolate chips
3 tbsp. soy milk (or almond, coconut, hemp, etc.)

Heat the chips and milk over low heat until melty and smooth!  I actually did mine in the microwave for about a minute, but be careful, it burns easily.  Spread over the cereal mixture, refrigerate until cool, cut and EAT.